Monday, March 19, 2007

A New Year Begins

January began with mild weather, with a little rain, melting what little snow we had on the ground. This is very unusual for Quebec!

The New Year also started on a sad note. On January 2nd, I attended the funeral of one of our long time members, Sister Doris Burnett. Sister Doris was a member of my Mother Chapter, Rosemount-St. Lambert #15. In fact, Sister Doris is one of the members who came to visit me when I first put in my petition for membership in 1991. She was a member of the Order for over 50 years, and will be greatly missed.

On January 3rd, I made a surprise visit to Lachute Chapter #56. I got there in time to enjoy their wonderfully tasty soup supper. The purpose of my visit was to present two more Grand Representative Commissions. I presented a Commission to Nova Scotia & PEI to Sister Elaine Wilson and a Commission to North Carolina to the Worthy Matron, Sister Kay Strong. They were both very pleased to receive these Commissions, and Sister Kay is already making plans to drive to North Carolina for their Sessions next year.

The next night, January 4th, I attended Lake St. Louis Chapter’s meeting, again in time to enjoy their pot-luck supper. During the meeting, I presented a Grand Representatives Commission to Las Vegas to Sister Linda Wodarka.

This was another back-to-back meeting week, as on January 5th, I attended Victory Chapter #34’s meeting. This time, the weather was a lot better! Once again, I had the pleasure of presenting some Grand Representatives Commissions. I presented Brother Edwin Smith a Commission to the Supreme Grand Chapter of Australia and a Commission to New York to Sister Gael Montpetit.

On January 7th, I had a meeting at our Grand Secretary’s house. Sister Anita Young is our new General Grand Chapter Committee Member on Visionquest for the 2006-2009 Triennium. Other attendees at the meeting were Sisters Brenda Stone, Associate Grand Matron, Beverley Sanborn, Grand Conductress and Huguette Daguerre, Associate Grand Conductress. This meeting was held for the purpose of establishing a Visionquest Committee and to discuss our thoughts & ideas on Visionquest. The Committee will consist of the G.G.C.C.M. on Visionquest, the Worthy Grand Matron, the Associate Grand Matron, the Grand Conductress and the Associate Grand Conductress. The new Associate Grand Conductress will replace the WGM each year.

On January 8th I was off to Maple Leaf Chapter #2. It was a very quiet meeting - even the Worthy Matron wasn’t there! I did, however, have the pleasure of presenting a Grand Representatives Commission to Oregon to Sister Charlotte Wescott. I had two others to present, but the members weren’t present.

On January 15th, I had plans to attend Cowansville #17’s meeting in order to present another Grand Representatives Commission, but we had a major snow storm that day (the first big one of the year) and their meeting was cancelled. It was rescheduled for January 22nd, unfortunately much to my disappointment, I was not well that day and could not go.

January 23rd was my own Chapter’s regular meeting. It was also our 42nd Birthday Party. Although there weren’t too many visitors, we had a great meeting just the same, with lots of birthday cake and ice cream after.

On January 25th, I attended the meeting of Westmount Chapter #9. I had hoped to present the Grand Representatives Commission that I wasn’t able to do last month. Unfortunately, once again, the recipient wasn’t there. I later learned that she can only attend the meetings if she can get a ride.

No comments: