Tuesday, March 6, 2007

My Theme

This year I have chosen for my theme all things about Scotland, in memory of my mother, Sister Rhona Kay. Mom and I were initiated together in 1991 and after I completed my studies and became an active member, were constant traveling companions, along with my sister, Sister Heather. In May 2003, when mom was recuperating from her strokes I told her of my intention of running for the North Chair. You should have seen the look on her face. It was just exhilarating. She told me that, even if she had to come in a wheelchair or on crutches, she would be at Grand Chapter to support me. Unfortunately, her cancer came back and she passed away a month before Sessions, but I am sure she was there just the same, and maybe even put in her vote.

Here is a general description of my theme:

The “Gathering of the Clans” Session

Ceád Mile Failte!
“One Hundred Thousand Welcomes”

WATCHWORDS

Faith, Hope, Peace and Love

“May you have
The Blessing of Peace
The Beauty of Hope
And the Spirit of Love”


AIM

To Promote Love and Friendship

SCRIPTURE

WGM: 1 Corinthians 13:4-6 “Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always preserves. Love never fails.”

WGP: 1 Peter 2:17 “Honour all Men, Love The Brotherhood, Fear God, Honour the King.”

COLOURS

Light Blue, Lilac

FLOWERS

Thistle, Blue Bells (of Scotland), White heather,
babies breath & Ivy

HONOURED STATION

Marshal
(Keeper of the "Royal" Regalia)

I chose the station of Marshal as our Honoured Station because my family is from the Marshall Clan in Scotland (my mother’s maiden name is Marshall). The Marshall acted as the Keeper of the Royal Regalia and Guard and I thought this was befitting that Station.

EMBLEMS

Crossed Batons, Clasped Hands of Friendship

SYMBOL

WGM: The Celtic Cross



“The Celtic Cross is a continual reminder
of our faith in Heaven’s promise of
Love and Hope”


FUN SYMBOL

WGM: “Nessie” The Loch Ness Monster
WGP: The Racecar




SPECIAL PROJECT

WGM: Parkinson’s Society of Quebec

(In memory of my step-father who passed away at the age of 61, three years after being diagnosed with a severe case of Parkinson’s Disease. It is also in honour of all the friends and members who are also afflicted with this disease.)

WGP: Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of Canada

MUSIC

WGM:
Scotland the Brave
Flower of Scotland
Let There Be Peace On Earth
Amazing Grace
Auld Lang Syne


WGP:
Pretty Woman (Roy Orbison)
Time To Say Goodbye (Andrea Bocelli)

Our Grand Officers are called “The Highlanders” and my Guardian Angels (like Grand Instructors) are called the “Bluebells”.

It is my earnest desire to leave some helpful and encouraging message each time it is my privilege to speak. So in keeping in line with our watchwords and our Aim, I have decided that my message to the Chapters this year shall stress the present day need for sacrifice, service, loyalty, faith and love, but mostly the need for Friendship. As we start off our year, I believe we must dedicate ourselves to rebuilding our Order to the strength and purpose we once enjoyed. The main thrust of our effort is to return to the basics on which our founder built this Order, which is to love one another, to protect, honour, assist and to enjoy, to be the best we can be.

It is my sincere wish that we can spread the word of our accomplishments throughout our province and neighborhoods. However, times are changing and if we are to survive we must accept changes in our Order. We are suffering from Tradition-itis: An obsession with the past that obscures our vision for the future.

No comments: